Semtech’s Next Generation 12G UHD-SDI Products Utilized in DS Broadcast’s UHDTV Encoder
DS Broadcast uses Semtech’s 12G UHDSDI Gearbox, retiming equalizer, retiming cable driver and 3G long-reach equalizer in its UHDTV Broadcast Encoder
Camarillo, California - April 19, 2016 -
Semtech Corporation (Nasdaq: SMTC), a leading supplier of analog and mixed-signal semiconductors, announced that its portfolio of 12G UHD-SDI solutions is being utilized in the BGE9000 UHDTV broadcast encoder from DS Broadcast, a leading supplier of UHDTV encoding solutions to the broadcast industry.
The DS Broadcast BGE9000 enhanced broadcast encoder is designed to encode broadcast facility signals. It features comprehensive UHD-SDI support and is currently being utilized in UHDTV broadcast trials in South Korea. The BGE9000 utilizes Semtech’s GS12070 UHD-SDI Gearbox, GS12141 retiming equalizer, GS12181 retiming cable driver and GS3440 long-reach equalizer, and is being demonstrated at DS Broadcast’s booth (SU6807) at the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) Show April 18-21 at the Las Vegas Convention Center.
UHD-SDI is the only standardized broadcast UHDTV interface, and Semtech’s comprehensive portfolio of advanced UHD-SDI products with advanced feature sets and class-leading performance provides a commercial, off-the-shelf interface solution for next generation UHDTV equipment and infrastructure.
“Next generation UHDTV facilities will require encoding solutions that support interoperability with UHD-SDI broadcast infrastructures,” said Harry Chang, CTO of DS Broadcast. “Semtech is the industry leader in UHD-SDI interface products, and its extensive range of high-performance UHDTV solutions has allowed us to bring advanced and differentiated encoding solutions to the market.”
“UHDTV broadcast infrastructures will extensively utilize UHD-SDI interfaces,” said Don Shaver, Director of Video Marketing for Semtech’s Signal Integrity Product Group. “DS Broadcast’s BGE9000 encoder with its comprehensive UHD-SDI support should ensure interoperability with new and existing television facilities and is uniquely positioned to address the needs of the industry as it transitions to UHDTV broadcasting.”
Semtech’s UHD-SDI products feature ultra-low power consumption and provide industry-leading performance at 12Gbps rates. UHD-SDI is ideal for UHDTV infrastructures, including encoders, routers, cameras, monitors, switchers and more. It offers pristine image quality, is backwards compatible with existing SDI systems and is standardized by both the Society of Motion Picture & Television Engineers (SMPTE) and the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), simplifying UHDTV infrastructure upgrades and reducing risk for broadcasters.
Semtech’s portfolio of 12G UHD-SDI products will be demonstrated at Semtech’s booth N5024 at the NAB Show.
Key Features of the GS12070
- Fully integrated gearbox solution: Four-input and four-output IC supporting conversions between multi-link, dual-link and single-link UHD-SDI interfaces. Support for 12G, 6G, 3G and HD line rates to maximize compatibility with existing SDI infrastructures.
- Automatic link ordering: Automatic link ordering for multi-link interfaces simplifies integration and automatically compensates for UHD-SDI cabling issues that often arise during installation.
- Automatic skew correction: In the most common conversion modes, automatic compensation for channel skew, an unavoidable system challenge in multi-link UHD-SDI systems, exceeds the SMPTE recommended skew tolerance specification. This minimizes the need for additional system resources and simplifies the overall system design.
- Integrated 4x4 crosspoint switch: Enables signal routing from any of the four 12G UHD-SDI inputs to any of the four 12G UHD-SDI outputs making it an ideal choice for UHDTV routing and distribution amplifier applications.
- Small form factor: Simplifies design integration and application compatibility.
Key Features of the GS12141 & GS12181
- Multi-standard operation: 1Mb/s to 11.88Gb/s for increased design flexibility and a wider range of end-product applications
- Performance optimized: For 11.88Gb/s with ultra-long cable reach, enabling designs that offer maximum performance at all data rates (GS12141). Ultra-low additive jitter for increased PCB design margin and class-leading output return loss performance that surpasses SMPTE specifications at all rates, simplifying board optimization, speeding time to market (GS12181)
- Ultra-low power consumption: Ideal for multi-channel high density designs to minimize overall power consumption
- Advanced feature set: Output pre-emphasis for compensating for long PCB trace lengths, simplifying PCB optimization (GS12141) and input trace equalization to compensate for long input trace lengths, critical for optimizing performance in 12G UHD-SDI designs (GS12181)
Key Features of the GS3440
- Industry’s longest reach cable equalizer: Industry’s longest cable reach at 3G, HD and SD data rates, supports better end-product performance and expanded range of applications.
- Advanced feature set: Output pre-emphasis to simplify PCB optimization.
Key Features of the BGE9000
- 12G-SDI/Quad 3G-SDI/3G-SDI/HD-SDI encoder input
- HEVC Main/Main10 encoder at 50/59.94 fps
- ATSC3.0 or MPEG-2 transport stream support
- Very-low encoding latency
- Immersive 3D audio encoder support
- Multiple audio source encoding
- GS12070 Product Page: www.semtech.com/broadcast-video/uhd-sdi-gearbox/gs12070
- GS12141 Product Page: www.semtech.com/broadcast-video/equalizers/gs12141
- GS12181 Product Page: www.semtech.com/broadcast-video/cable-drivers/gs12181
- GS3440 Product Page : www.semtech.com/broadcast-video/equalizers/gs3440
- UHD-SDI Selector Guide: www.semtech.com/images/mediacenter/collateral/Gennum-Video_Broadcast-Guide.pdf
- For technical support or general product inquiries, contact Semtech’s support team.
- For quarterly product updates, sign up for Semtech’s e-newsletter Inside Circuit.
- Find Semtech on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Google+.
- Leader Instruments - www.dsbroadcast.com
The GS3440, GS12141 and GS12181 are available now, and the GS12070 will be available in the second half of 2016. Semtech offers comprehensive design assistance, including field- and factory-based support. Data sheets, volume pricing and delivery quotes, as well as evaluation kits and samples, are available at www.semtech.com/info.
About DS Broadcast
DS Broadcast was established in 2014 to develop high quality video encoding and decoding solutions for broadcasters. With deep experience in Korean broadcast technology, DS Broadcast employs experienced hardware and software engineers with company headquarters in Daejeon and an R&D center in Seoul, South Korea.
Semtech Corporation is a leading supplier of analog and mixed-signal semiconductors for high-end consumer, computing, communications and industrial equipment. Products are designed to benefit the engineering community as well as the global community. The company is dedicated to reducing the impact it, and its products, have on the environment. Internal green programs seek to reduce waste through material and manufacturing control, use of green technology and designing for resource reduction. Publicly traded since 1967, Semtech is listed on the NASDAQ Global Select Market under the symbol SMTC. For more information, visit www.semtech.com.
Forward-Looking and Cautionary Statements
All statements contained herein that are not statements of historical fact, including statements that use the words “enables,” “designed to,” “should,” “provide” or ”enable” or other similar words or expressions, that describe Semtech Corporation’s or its management’s future plans, objectives or goals are “forward-looking statements” and are made pursuant to the Safe-Harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, as amended. Such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that could cause the actual results of Semtech Corporation to be materially different from the historical results and/or from any future results or outcomes expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Such factors are further addressed in Semtech Corporation’s annual and quarterly reports, and in other documents or reports, filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission (www.sec.gov) including, without limitation, information under the captions “Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations” and “Risk Factors”. Semtech Corporation assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements in order to reflect events or circumstances that may arise after the date of this release, except as required by law.
Semtech and the Semtech logo are registered trademarks or service marks, of Semtech Corporation and/or its affiliates. Third-party trademarks or service marks mentioned herein are the property of their respective owners.